Somalia’s New Cabinet
With less than a year left in its mandate, Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed of Somalia named a new cabinet on Friday. However, some lawmakers said the new ministers might not be approved by parliament.
Somalia’s transitional federal government has been struggling to oust hardline Islamist al Shabaab and Hisbul Islam insurgents who control most of southern Somalia and much of the capital Mogadishu. Mr. Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed took charge as Prime Minister on November 1, 2010.
The newly named ministers are:
1. Deputy Prime Minister and minister for Foreign affairs Mohamed Abdullaahi Omar
2. Deputy prime Minister and Minister for Defense Abdulkariin Abdihakiin Mohamud Haji Fiqi
3. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for international relations Abdiweli Mohamed Ali.
4. Abdullahi Abyan Noor Minister for justice and religious issues.
5. Minister for internal Affairs and security Abdishakur Sheikh Hassan Farah
6. Finance Minister Abdi Halane.
7. Minister for women and family affairs Dr Maryan Kasim Ahmed.
8. Minister for livestock and Agriculture Yusuf Mallim Amin (Baadiyoow)
9. Minister for Public Health Dr. Adan Haji Ibraahim Daud.
10. Information and Communication Minister Abdikarim Hassan Jamaa.
11. Minister for Social Issues, Sports Labour and Youth Affairs Abdinoor Maalim Mohamud.
12. Minister for Fishing and natural resources Dr. Mohamed Maalim Hassan Mohamed.
13. Minister for Transport Ahmed Abdulrahman .
14. Constitutional and Reconciliation Affairs Minister Mohamud Mohamed (Beenoow)
15. Housing and National rebuilding Minister Abdirashid Khalif Hashi.
16. Water,Mineral and energy Minister Abdirizaq Sheikh Muhudin.
17. Minister for Education Abdinoor Sheikh Mohamed.
18. Industry and Business Minister Dr. Mohamud Abdi Ibrahim.
Story by Abdualaziz Billow Ali