Job Board: Program Assistant, New York, NY
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Education: Bachelor (BA, BS, etc.)
Location: New York, New York, 10019, United States
Employer: Open Society Institute
Employer’s Website: http://www.soros.org/
Job Category: Administration
Last day to apply: March 5, 2010
Type: Full Time
Area of Focus: Human Rights and Civil Liberties
INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS – AFRICA REGIONAL OFFICE
OPEN SOCIETY INSTITUTE
The Open Society Institute works to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve its mission, OSI seeks to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, OSI implements a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, OSI builds alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. OSI places a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of marginalized people and communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros in 1993 created OSI as a private operating and grantmaking foundation to support his foundations in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Those foundations were established, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. OSI has expanded the activities of the Soros foundations network to encompass the United States and more than 60 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Each Soros foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
The Africa Regional Office operates through the OSI/Soros network of foundations. The Africa Regional Office works to, promote effective collaboration between the network—that is OSI senior management, network programs, network services (i.e. legal, financial, human resources, etc.), foundations in other parts of the world and representative offices—and the foundations in Africa; to inform foundations in Africa of network developments and policies and to help see to it that the foundations implement those policies; to inform OSI senior management of developments in the foundations in Africa; in consultation with the foundations in Africa, to advise OSI senior management on policy and program issues that extend beyond the territories of Africa foundations; manage a Africa grants portfolio; organize and facilitate outcomes of the Africa Advisory Board; represent OSI in addressing issues in parts of Africa not included in the territories of the foundations; and develop special initiatives as needed.
• Support general administration of the Africa Regional Office;
• Provide administrative support for grants related to Africa, for example in sending rejection letters or answering general inquiries;
• Responsible for logistical organization of office initiated meetings (travel, material preparation, taking of minutes, revision of minutes) as well as meetings on Africa called by senior management;
• Process and track payment requests;
• Maintain updated contact lists of staff of foundations, program partners, the OSI Africa advocacy team and the Boards of the Africa foundations and institutional partners;
• Perform general clerical duties, including: handling phone traffic; scanning and photocopying; schedule meetings and conferences; expense reports; and filing;
• Assist in scheduling appointments, meetings and maintaining the calendar for the Regional Director;
• Draft/edit correspondence and other documents as required;
• Organize record retention and management according to OSI policy;
• Make travel arrangements for participants in events organized by the department;
• Arrange travel for foundation colleagues on request;
• Maintain and update department’s electronic files; as well as databases;
• Perform basic research (Internet; Lexis/Nexis);
• Other projects as assigned.
• BA required;
• Minimum one year prior office experience preferred;
• Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills;
• Commitment to working as a member of a team and to providing service to clients, as well as a commitment to excellence;
• Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
• High level of self-motivation and able to work independently when necessary;
• Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
• Attentive to detail and able to work well under pressure;
• Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
• Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public;
• Extensive computer skills (expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel and databases required);
• Written and verbal proficiency in French preferred.
START DATE: March 2010
How to Apply:
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before March 5, 2010, to: email@example.com Include job code in subject line: PA-IO/ARO
Open Society Institute
Human Resources – Code PA-IO/ARO
400 West 59th Street
New York, New York 10019